Since owning my own home I've had this strange motivation to continue traditions from my childhood - ones that we haven't done in years, even decades.
It's mostly around holidays, like for Easter this year I got hold of the actual hand-painted wooden eggs that my mom used when we were kids, snipped a branch off a tree in my backyard, spray painted it white, and voila! Easter tree. And naturally, Easter eggs were a must. They're currently clustered in a flower shaped bowl on our kitchen table, all pink and purple, alarmingly pastel, and covered with swirling stripes and faded flowers.
These little ceremonies had so much innocent glamour for me as a kid. I would watch my mom do everything so perfectly, dedicated to every detail. In my modern recreations, I try to take things a little more casually. No pressure here.
There is somehow this mysterious fuzzy glow that attaches itself to these occasions. Where it comes from, I've no idea. But I love it.
Sunday, April 4, 2010
nostalgic
Labels:
life as it happens
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment